15 October 2021
The Electoral Commission
The Electoral Commission is the independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK. We promote public confidence in the democratic process and ensure its integrity. A small yet high-impact organisation, our work is wide-reaching and of significant public interest.
A compelling opportunity has arisen to lead our dedicated team as our next CEO. The role of the Commission has risen in importance - for politics, for the electoral community, and for the voter, and the electoral landscape is changing, driven by the digital revolution and the way in which voters are engaging with the system. From social media’s impact on political debate to increasing devolution of election powers, our work is at the heart of some of the most passionately discussed topics of the day.
You will inspire and lead our expert workforce, harnessing their commitment and capability to deliver on our strategic plans. You will promote and deliver critical change and improvement, to enable the Commission to innovate, to ensure that it its voice is heard and that it is respected and trusted wherever it operates. A key element of the role will be building and maintaining relationships across the breadth of our stakeholder community.
A sophisticated communicator with first-rate influencing skills, you will be an experienced board-level operator with a track record of leadership, strategic thinking and innovation in a relevant and complex environment. Confident under scrutiny and resilient under pressure, you will impress us with your political acumen, with your sound judgment, and with your integrity.
We would like to continuously increase the diversity of our employees. Applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates are particularly welcomed.
To find out more about the role contact Duncan Ewart or Katrina Paget on 0113 205 6092.
Please find the welcome video from John Pullinger (Chair): https://vimeo.com/618973526/168167f7f8
5pm, Friday 15 October 2021
w/c Monday 25 October 2021
w/c Monday 1 November 2021
End of w/c Monday 8 November 2021
w/c Monday 29 November 2021
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this post, please supply:
- A comprehensive CV (no more than three sides of A4)
- A Supporting Statement (maximum three sides of A4), outlining how you meet the essential and desirable criteria in the Person Specification. Please note that the Supporting Statement is an important part of your application and is as much the means by which you will be assessed as your CV
- Please also complete the Political Activity Form on the GatenbySanderson website and submit with your application. As part of the online application process, you will be asked to complete an equal opportunities monitoring page. The information on this page will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only. This information will not be treated as part of your application.
- Contact details for two referees. Referees should be people who can comment authoritatively on you as a person and as an employee and must include your current or most recent employer or his/her authorised representative. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them.
- A completed diversity monitoring form, the questionnaire is part of the online application process and will appear on screen.
Please note that in line with the Electoral Commission’s Code of Staff Conduct, you would likely not be considered suitable for appointment as CEO if your past or present engagement in an activity might now call into question your political impartiality’. This means that if you are currently a member of a political party or if you have recently relinquished this, you would not be eligible to apply for this appointment.
ContactsDuncan Ewart: 0113 205 6092