As Interim Head of Environment, Planning & Infrastructure you will develop medium term policy and strategy for environmental and land use planning, clean air, transport and other infrastructure in the city and wider region. Working with a range of partners, this role will lead on the development of a Clean Air Plan, develop and deliver the refreshed Local Plan, and develop innovative approaches on strategic transport systems, energy, water and wastewater, digital, blue and green infrastructures, and infrastructure to support the city's zero carbon ambitions.
You will make a difference by:
- Providing leadership, management and strategic direction to the Planning and Infrastructure Team
- Maintaining a high performing team and culture
- Leading the development of innovative, evidence-based policy options on a range of infrastructure and environmental improvement proposals
- building and maintaining strong networks of support from a range of key stakeholders to deliver the vision for world class infrastructure and connectivity to drive growth in the city
Essential to the role will be:
- Excellent knowledge of the key economic, social and environmental policy issues and challenges facing cities and the role of local government in addressing these.
- Ability to critically evaluate and influence policy and strategy initiatives developed by national, regional, sub regional and local stakeholders.
- Detailed knowledge of the functioning of local government, the legal framework within which it operates and its relationship with central government across a wide range of activities.
- Ability to forge excellent relationships with members, civil servants and officers both within the authority and across a wide range of external organisations. To also maintain excellent relationships with key individuals within the private sector.
- Experience of developing policy and strategy proposals that underpin infrastructure planning and environmental improvements including for clean air, strategic transport, energy, water and wastewater, digital, and blue and green infrastructures.
This role will be for 3-6 months whilst the permanent recruitment takes place and the day rate is c£500 inside IR35. You will be required to be on site in the North West a minimum of 50% of the time.
To apply for this role, please submit an up to date copy of your CV, along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable. You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.