10 December 2019
A London Borough are seeking an interim Head of Policy and Public affairs to lead the Policy and Public Affairs team in providing strategic advice to the Mayor, members and officers on key policy and public affairs issues. The post holder reports to the Assistant Director Policy and Performance, working within the corporate centre of the Council, and working with members and senior officers across the organisation.The post holder has line management responsibility for all the members of the Policy and Public Affairs team (currently 9 FTE), and responsibility for the Policy and Public Affairs budget (currently £750k).The post holder will be required to work some evenings, weekends and occasional public holidays in order to meet service requirements and in order to ensure appropriate representation of the Council with residents, the Mayor and elected members, and external bodies. The candidate will undertake the responsibilities listed below and other duties as required:
- To develop and articulate policy for the Council, taking into account the Mayor’s manifesto, corporate plan priorities, information from corporate research and borough services.
- To contribute to the leadership team and overall direction of the corporate centre.
- To keep apace of policy developments and new thinking nationally; to analyse such issues and advise the Mayor and CMT regarding implications for the borough.
- To build knowledge of best practice in local authorities and other public services.
- To challenge constructively existing strategies
- To create corporate strategy using evidence-based best practice
- To respond to national and regional policy consultations, working as necessary with officers in the service directorates to do so.
This role will be for 3-4 months inside IR35 and day rate will be dependent on experience.
To apply for this role, please submit an up to date copy of your CV, along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable. You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.