29 April 2019
Head of Service - Capital Construction
A south eastern local authority is at the centre of growth activity in the UK. There are plans for an additional 20,000 households living and working in the area over the next 20 years, this will increase demand for council services such as schools, jobs, houses and care. The Council is embracing this challenge and has ambitious plans for investing in the future. Our new leisure centres, libraries and independent living scheme demonstrate the Council’s commitment to provide world-class facilities and services for its residents. We are also investing in major new road links and high street regeneration to keep our market towns thriving and easy to access. As Head of the Capital Construction Service, you will be responsible for delivering all the Council’s major construction projects including residential, commercial, health and social care, agricultural and educational buildings.You will manage an intelligent client’ service for the Council’s large and complex construction projects ensuring they meet the time, budget and quality requirements of our customers. The projects include new builds as well as major refurbishments and range in value from £1m to £40M with no two jobs the same. The team is currently managing around 20 projects with a value of over £200m, with a further 15 projects in the pipeline. The work will be high profile and you will need to build strong relationships with our Customers, Senior Officers and Councillors who have high expectations of the service, so you can help them translate their ambitions into delivered schemes.
Your qualifications, skills and experience
- You will have experience in construction management, having successfully managed delivery of capital construction projects valued up-to £40m, preferably in the public sector.
- You will understand delivery strategies, procurement and contract options for construction projects, with experience of high value procurement (including outcome-based commissioning), JCT and NEC contracts, contract management and awareness of contract enforcement.
- You must be able to lead a project and portfolio management methodology for construction projects, with experience of project programming, estimating fees, managing resources, risk and issues across all RIBA stages.
- You will have knowledge and experience of managing internal and external construction professionals.
- You will have good working knowledge of statutory regulations relevant to capital projects, including CDM 2015 the building regulations, and Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations.
- With good political and commercial awareness, and strong communication skills, you will have a gift for influencing others, translating technical information into plain language, working together and be committed to evidence-based decision making.
They day rate will be dependent on experience, the role is initially for 3 months with the likelihood of extension and the closing date is Monday 29th April 2019.
To apply for this role, please submit an up to date copy of your CV, along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable. You should also provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. If you do not wish us to approach your referees without your prior permission, please state this clearly.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.