11 July 2022
Sub-national transport body Midlands Connect is looking for an ambitious, conscientious and influential leader to join the team as its Chief Technical Officer. Charged with overseeing, monitoring and shaping the organisation’s technical programme, as outlined in its recently published Strategic Transport Plan, you will be an established industry professional with the ability to motivate a team and develop thinking around emerging workstreams spanning rail, roads, technology, innovation and alternative fuels.
As well as having an eye for technical detail, you will act as a core spokesperson for the organisation, with duties including liaising with the media, MPs, Government Officials and stakeholders, as well as presenting to Select Committees and in high-level meetings. Your ultimate aim is to build a robust evidence base that evaluates and demonstrates the need for investment in the region’s critical transport infrastructure – to get the best possible deal for the Midlands, its people and businesses.
On a day-to-day basis, you will be charged with motivating, supporting and maximising the work of your team, as well as overseeing important financial, stakeholder and partnership activities core to the work and function of Midlands Connect.
- Providing leadership to the Midlands Connect technical team – setting goals, monitoring performance and ensuring work is delivered in line with the orgnaisation’s Strategic Transport Plan
- Acting as a spokesperson for Midlands Connect in committees, meetings and in the media
- Ensuring that technical products developed are of the highest standard and are align with Midlands Connect’s central principle of being ‘evidence led’. This will include the use of innovative/varied evidence bases, both quantitative and qualitative, to ensure that Midlands Connect is recognised as an industry leader.
- Working with senior officers across the Midlands Connect partnership to ensure that all partners are bought into the elements of the Strategic Plan which affect them directly.
- Working with senior officers in Network Rail, National Highways, HS2 Ltd and the Department for Transport to ensure that Midlands Connect’s priorities and investment asks are well understood and become embedded in national investment planning.
About Midlands Connect
Midlands Connect is a regional Sub-national Transport Body, tasked with researching, developing and progressing transport projects that will provide the biggest possible environmental, economic and social benefits for the Midlands and the rest of the UK. It works across a broad network of partners and stakeholders in government, local authorities, transport providers, agencies, business and the communities that it serves.
For information on the Strategic Transport Plan please visit https://www.midlandsconnect.uk/strategy/
11th July 2022
Stakeholder panels and interviews
19th July 2022
How to Apply
- Please submit your CV along with a Supporting Statement addressing the person specification criteria, evidencing how you meet the criteria.
- Detail any employment or education gaps.
- Be ready to provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees; one should be your current or most recent employer. Referees will be contacted for those proceeding to final stages. We will always gain your permission before we contact referees.
- Let us know any difficulty you may have with the indicative timetable.
- Check that your contact details are correct before you submit.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email confirmation. If you do not receive, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
ContactsPhilip Emms: 07590 225 472Kate Merson: 020 7426 3376