UK-wide, with substantial attendance in the CMA’s London office in Canary Wharf required with national and international travel
18 July 2022
Competition & Markets Authority
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is the competition regulator of the United Kingdom. It is a non-ministerial government department responsible for strengthening business competition and preventing and reducing anti-competitive activities. The CMA works to promote competition for the benefit of consumers, both within and outside the UK. Its aim is to make markets work well for consumers, businesses and the economy, with a strong consumer protection role. In order to meet these responsibilities, it operates with flexibility and transparency.
As our Chief Executive, you will lead the organisation of 1000 staff and a budget of just over £110m. You will be responsible for developing and delivering the purpose, strategy and vision of CMA, ensuring that the organisation has the people, culture and processes it needs to deliver on its expanding scope of influence. You will maintain strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders across the organisation, business sectors, government and consumers alike, championing the value of competition and advocating widely for the work we do.
You will be an experienced leader of dynamic, expertise-intensive organisations of a comparable scale with a passionate belief in the value of competition to consumers across the UK. You will a capable strategic thinker able to inspire and motivate a diverse and high performing organisation, as well as being an excellent communicator to varied audiences. Effective with stakeholders, you will bring a track record of developing, maintaining and leveraging a wide range of relationships across different sectors.
This is a unique role at the forefront of protecting consumers through effective regulation and affords significant opportunity to make a huge impact both in the UK and globally.
Closing Date - Strictly
23:55 on Monday 18 July 2022
Monday 25 July 2022
w/c Monday 1 August 2022
Tuesday 9 or Wednesday 10 August 2022
Staff Engagement Panel and Meetings with Stakeholders
Between Friday 19 August and Friday 9 September 2022
Final Panel – in person in BEIS
Monday 19 September (all day) and Thursday 22 September (09:30-11:30)
How to apply
To apply, you will need to complete the online application. Please send the following information by no later than 23:55 Monday 18th July 2022.
- Your CV, with educational and professional qualifications and full employment history, including an explanation of any gaps in your employment history, and details where possible of budgets and numbers of people
- A short covering statement of no more than two A4 sized pages explaining why this appointment interests you and how you can evidence the behaviours and requirements outlined in this pack
- Details of your current remuneration package, plus the names of two referees who we can contact at shortlist stage (before the final interview) including for how long they have known you and in what capacity. We will not contact them without your consent
- Notification of any dates you are unable to accommodate within the indicative timetable set out above.
- In addition, you will be asked to complete a diversity monitoring questionnaire, this will appear on screen as part of the application process. The information on this page will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only. This information will not be treated as part of your application.