Flexible but with travel across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (30% of time)
Adoption UK is the leading charity providing support, community and advocacy for all those whose lives involve adoption, including those parenting children who cannot live with their birth families, and adopted children, young people and adults. They connect people, provide support and training and campaign for improvements to adoption policy and practice and provide a strong, supportive community and are the largest voice of adopters in the UK.
The Chair and Board of Trustees are looking for a new CEO who will build on the current organisational strategy and help further shape services and delivery for the next phase – with the optimum aim of doing more our community. The new CEO will build on the current strategy, ‘Empowering Our Community 2021 – 2024’ which has made great strides and impact around the following key tenets: Empowering, Lived Experience, Four Nations, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and Partnerships.
The new CEO will need to demonstrate very strong people and leadership skills combined with strategic ability and operational understanding. They will be required to work collaboratively at many levels to deliver cross functional projects and multiple work streams. The ability and energy to manage change and growth programmes is essential. Specifically to:
- Support and advise the Trustees on the development of strategy.
- Ensure that that strategy is executed, to engage with key national decision makers to influence legislation, policy and practice.
- Provide strategic leadership for the team of Adoption UK staff and volunteers.
- Be the organisation’s lead spokesperson and will manage key supporter relationships.
- Work effectively with the Chief Operating Officer and other leaders in the organisation to ensure the effective delivery of strategy, reporting to Trustees as required.
- Strengthen existing strategic partnership relations and explore other opportunities.
- Be a strong voice to the external world on a range of matters pertaining to adopted people (children and adults), adoptive parents and kinship carers.
- Have overall responsibility for a workforce of around 170, spread across the four UK nations.
All candidates will need an appreciation of the special dynamics and challenges pertinent to adoption. Ideally candidates should have lived experience of adoption. This may be by virtue of being an adopted person, an adoptive parent, or someone with close connections to adoption.
Friday 27th May 2022
Preliminary Interviews with Adoption UK Chair, Trustee(s) and GatenbySanderson
Thursday 16th or Friday 17th June 2022 - online
Second stage interviews with Adoption UK Chair, Trustee(s) and GatenbySanderson
Tuesday 28th June 2022 - in London
Final Panel Interviews
Tuesday 5th July 2022 - online
How to Apply
- Please submit your CV along with a Supporting Statement addressing the person specification criteria, evidencing how you meet the criteria.
- Detail any employment or education gaps.
- Be ready to provide the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees; one should be your current or most recent employer. Referees will be contacted for those proceeding to final stages. We will always gain your permission before we contact referees.
- Let us know any difficulty you may have with the indicative timetable.
- Check that your contact details are correct before you submit.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email confirmation. If you do not receive, please email firstname.lastname@example.org