NED Remuneration £12,000 for 15 days per annum Chair Remuneration £31,000 for 35 days per annum
17 January 2022
HR Wallingford’s specialist research and consultancy know-how solves the world’s most complex water-related challenges. Ingenious solutions add value to our clients, create resilience, protect vulnerable communities and improve lives. We collaborate, build knowledge and innovate wherever water interacts with people, infrastructure and the environment. A not-for-profit distribution organisation, we reinvest our profits into strategic research. This allows us to tackle pressing problems; create next-generation tools and technology; and create state-of-the-art facilities. We value our independence. We don’t have shareholders. It means we give clear, evidence-based advice that our clients use to make intelligent decisions. Decisions that are genuinely right for them, their stakeholders and the communities they work in.
The Board welcomes applications from suitably qualified and experienced individuals from diverse backgrounds who have a good track record at board level in either the public or private sectors to oversee growth and drive success. The Director will be expected to bring independent judgement, sector knowledge and effective governance to the Company’s strategic thinking, and work with the Board on reaching clear and binding resolutions on matters where opinions may divide.
It is intended that these appointments will augment the skills of the two continuing NEDs by enhancing the diversity of the Board and bringing expertise in one of the following areas:
- Innovation and Development
- Engineering/Consultancy Services
Essential Experience and Qualities
- Experience at Executive Director/CEO/Board level
- Expert knowledge of commercial consultancy and engineering/science, research and innovation
- Knowledge of carbon and net zero, sustainability
- Finance knowledge
- Specialist sector knowledge of global water management, oil and gas, renewables, infrastructure
- Strong, dynamic leadership skills
- A demonstrable ability to communicate effectively, and articulate strategy crisply
- Vision, authenticity and highly accomplished relationship management with a complex stakeholder base
- A strategic perspective
- Alignment with HR Wallingford’s culture and values
- Expert risk management knowledge
- Project management experience
- Corporate governance knowledge
- International experience
- Independence of management and interested parties
- Professional objectivity
As our Chair is due to step down in 2022, it is possible that one of these NED roles may also be Chair Designate. Please review the Chair job specification and indicate in your application if you wish to be considered for the Chair Designate role as well as one of the NED roles.
If you wish to discuss these appointments, contact our recruitment partners at GatenbySanderson; Dr Emma French email@example.com or Michelle Sander firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday 17 January 2022
wc 24 January 2022
wc 24 January - 31 January 2022
wc 7 February 2022
wc 21 February 2022
How to Apply
To apply for this post, you will need to submit the following documentation no later than 17th January 2022
- A CV setting out your career history, with key responsibilities and achievements. Please ensure you have provided reasons for any gaps within the last two years;
- A Statement of Suitability (no longer than two pages) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the criteria in the person specification;
- A completed Diversity Monitoring Form. All monitoring data will be treated in the strictest confidence, will not be provided to the selection panel and will not affect your application in any way. The completion of the Diversity Monitoring Form is mandatory but it includes the option ‘prefer not to say’.
Failure to submit these documents will mean the panel only have limited information on which to assess your application against the criteria in the person specification.
If you are unable to apply online, please contact email@example.com in the first instance.
For more information or for an informal discussion, please contact If you wish to discuss these appointments, contact our recruitment partners at GatenbySanderson; Dr Emma French firstname.lastname@example.org or Michelle Sander email@example.com.