Unremunerated, c. 10 days per annum
28 February 2022
With a growing 60,000 strong membership, the work of the BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) has arguably never been more important as we collectively emerge from the Covid-19 pandemic.
Operating with substantial scope and conviction in the pursuit of social justice, we are proud of the momentum with which we have continued to operate during the past two years, helping our members to transition to completely new ways of working in support of the nation’s mental health. We have continued to campaign tirelessly on our members’ behalf throughout the pandemic, actioning societal shifts in attitude towards the important profession we serve, and we have continued our important work in standards and dispute resolution to maximise accountability and confidence in counselling and psychotherapy.
In addition to our core business, we have also progressed with the continued development of our own organisation, professionalising aspects of our business to ensure that we are fit for purpose for the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead.
Further to a recent governance review and the merger of two former committees, there is now a requirement to appoint a Chair for the newly formed Finance, Risk, Audit, Policy and Performance Committee (FRAPP). We are keen to appoint an experienced Committee Chair who will also meet the broader associated professional requirements required of a non-executive director to fulfil the substantial role of Trustee. Given the financial health of our organisation, emphasis here will not necessarily be on appointing a qualified accountant, but on securing an individual with the right balance of finance, audit and risk experience, along with prior exposure to charity governance. Personal integrity and strong values that align with ours and those of our members will be of equal importance, along with commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and good public governance.
Broader leadership capability will also be important to guarantee success in bringing together two former committees and we will be receptive to changes to the way we work and operate. We must be bold and courageous if we are to make the most of the opportunities ahead, whilst managing our organisation well and maintaining the welfare of all those who work for and with us.
Counselling and psychotherapy are fundamental to mental health and we hope you will not only feel some affinity with our mission, but also be excited by the opportunity to make a strong contribution as we embark on our next five year strategy; setting and maintaining the highest standards whilst campaigning for positive change and delivering an outstanding membership experience.
If this sounds like the challenge for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our advisers at GatenbySanderson:
Gillian Young, Researcher on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01908 230265
Stephanie Wilson, Partner, Regulation and Professional Standards on email@example.com or 07880 382745.
28 February 2022
TBC – Wednesday 9 or Wednesday 16 March 2022
How to Apply
Please ensure that you provide the following information:
- Your CV
- A supporting statement (of not more than 2 pages) detailing how you can address the Essential and Desirable criteria in the Person Specification and how your behaviours align with those of BACP
- Daytime, evening and/or mobile telephone numbers as well as your personal email address (to be used with discretion)
- Contact details for two referees. Referees should be people who can comment authoritatively on you as a person and as an employee and must include your current or most recent employer or his/her authorised representative. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them.
- Please let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
- A completed diversity monitoring form (this will appear on screen as part of the online process)
ContactsStephanie Wilson: 07880 382745Gillian Young: 01908230265