South East, London, Croydon, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield (with Regular travel around the UK)
Up to £130,000
23 August 2021
With a budget of £13.8bn and nearly 35,000 employees, the Home Office is responsible for some of the most critical, demanding and life-saving work in society. Our mission is fundamentally important: to keep Britain’s streets safe and its borders secure.
The Police & Public Protection Technology directorate within the Home Office is primarily responsible for the design, build and deployment of national law enforcement systems, ensuring that they are highly effective, efficient systems which leverage modern digital technologies and provide world-class law enforcement capabilities. As we continue to enhance the quality of our services, we are now looking to appoint an exceptional leader into a newly created role to establish and run the National Law Enforcement Data Portfolio of which will include the Police National Database (PND) and the Police National Computer (PNC).
As part of the dedicated senior management team you will build capacity, capability and coherence across the portfolio, developing a clear roadmap whilst leading a team of 400 FTE and working with a diverse set of stakeholders. Utilising your proven track record of successfully managing multiple high value and complex delivery portfolios, you will also ensure appropriate programme and product delivery methodologies are embedded and operational risk overseen. Key responsibilities will include:
- Establish and effectively lead a complex and large-scale transformation and sustainment portfolio, ensuring an optimal product delivery environment is established, with appropriate and effective governance and oversight
- Manage a complex matrix team structure comprising of Civil Servants, contractors and partners, to maximise quality and high-performance outcomes
- Engage and manage a large, diverse and executive level group of stakeholders across law enforcement, the Home Office and other organisations; ensuring stakeholders are bought into and engaged with delivery across the programme.
- Strong evidence of having successfully managed major (GMPP or equivalent level) ICT delivery programmes utilising iterative, digital delivery methodologies, with excellent stakeholder management skills
- Senior technology leader with a strategic, enterprise-wide view and inspiring, coherent and inclusive leadership style able to establish a culture of technical excellence and innovative solution design whilst leading internal and external delivery teams
- First class commercial acumen. Sophisticated approach to high value commercial and supplier management within the context of technology change. Able to establish and maximise eﬀective working relationships with suppliers to stimulate innovation and guarantee successful delivery whilst delivering value for money
- An inquisitive, strategic mindset with the ability to challenge themselves and their team in order to innovate and shape the delivery environment to enable effective and efficient delivery
- Awareness of Operational Risk in a relevant technology environment: able to identify, measure and mitigate risk relating to business-critical IT services and systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to engage and enthuse people across the organisation.
This role is one of huge impact, leading a portfolio that will significantly shape a modern day service that will not only be at heart of policing data for many years to come but also protect communities served.
Every day, Home Office civil servants do brilliant work to develop and deliver policies and services that affect the lives of people across the country and beyond. To do this effectively and fairly, the Home Office is committed to representing modern Britain in all its diversity, and creating a welcoming, inclusive workplace where all our people are able to bring their whole selves to work and perform at their best.
We are flexible, skilled, professional and diverse. We work to recruit and retain disabled staff and are a Disability Confident Leader. We are proud to be one of the most ethnically diverse departments in the civil service. We are a Stonewall top 100 Workplace Equality Employer and a Social Mobility Foundation top 75 employer.
Closing Date for Applications
Monday 23 August 2021 @ 11.59pm
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
Friday 3 September 2021 - Monday 13 September 2021
Assessments & Fireside Chats (FSC)
Tuesday 21 September 2021 - Wednesday 6 October 2021
Final Panel Interviews
Monday 11 October 2021
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (no more than 2 pages of A4) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide mobile and email contact details.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
ContactsSarah Luxford: 07812 150 386Lisa Paul-Wickham: 07570 654 500