Blackpool, Leeds, Newcastle
05 September 2021
Department for Work and Pensions
The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is a major Department of State that plays a critical role in UK life. Operating at significant size and scope, we provide services and support to over 22 million people every year, responsible for over 730 million benefits payments, totalling some £173.1 billion. Engaged in delivering a once in a generation programme of welfare reform, we are committed to: Helping citizens into sustained employment, increased earnings and self-sufficiency; reducing the disadvantages faced by disabled people and people with healthcare conditions; Increasing savings for and providing financial security in later life and maximising the number of children benefitting from an effective child maintenance arrangement.
DWP is implementing the biggest changes to the welfare system in a generation whilst continuing to drive up service and drive down costs, meeting targets to be the best and most efficient delivery function in the public sector by delivering a seamless service to its customers. The Health and Disability Engineering Lead will play a key leadership role in achieving this.
Reporting to the Director for Health & Disability as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, working closely with Product and Delivery Leads, the Deputy Director for (Software) Engineering will:
- Have end-to-end (software) engineering accountability through design, build and live service across the entire Health and Disability portfolio.
- Lead the engineering and architectural communities in Health & Disability and build and execute the engineering strategy to facilitate the delivery of the vision of the team.
- Drive a comprehensive and cohesive engineering strategy across a large-scale agile delivery programme, including standards on accessibility, engineering, architecture, testing and deployment; building a DevOps culture across all teams.
- Guide a team of technology professionals to create and maintain services, targeting zero production hours lost whilst continuing to deliver new functionality into the Health and Disability service.
To succeed in this role, you will be a naturally open and collaborative leader, with relevant experience gained within the public or commercial sector, in the following key areas:
- Leading large, technically focused, multi-disciplinary agile teams in building exemplary digital products and services of scale and complexity.
- Extensive knowledge gained across the whole technical stack, from infrastructure level through to applications, including integration with and transition from, legacy systems.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing a DevOps culture within multi-disciplinary teams, building their capability and capacity to meet the demands of a dynamic user and customer base.
- Experience of running large scale applications in the production environment, including incident management and recovery.
- Experience implementing Platform and Infrastructure as Service strategies at scale.
This challenging and exciting role offers an important opportunity not only to have a real and long-lasting impact on the way the Civil Service approaches software engineering and the development of its digital services, but also to improve the lives of those DWP serves.
Closing Date for Applications
Sunday 5 September 2021 @ 11.55pm
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
Wednesday 15 September to Thursday 23 September 2021
Assessments & Information Conversations
Thursday 30 September 2021 to Tuesday 12 October 2021
Final Panel Interviews
Friday 15 October 2021 &/or Monday 18 October 2021
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (no more than 2 pages of A4) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide mobile and email contact details.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
ContactsAndre Morris: 07802 440 897 Sundas Gull: 07545318869