Southampton, with travel to other MCA sites
£19,180 (up to 35 days per annum). Two-year fixed term with the possibility of extension.
Department for Transport
The Department for Transport is seeking a Non-Executive Chair for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). The Non-Executive Chair will be appointed by the Secretary of State to play a major role in leading the MCA through a period of transformational change.
The MCA is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT) responsible for developing and implementing the Government’s strategy for maritime safety and environmental protection, in close collaboration with the DfT and with a wide range of customers and other stakeholders. This is achieved through education, prevention, regulation, inspection and - when required - by initiating and coordinating maritime Search and Rescue through HM Coastguard and other emergency responders. In addition, the Agency runs the economically vital UK Ship Register and certifies seafarers. It provides survey and inspection capabilities to check the safety of ships operating in British waters and UK-registered ships abroad, and administers the law in relation to wreck and salvage.
The MCA’s vision is to provide the best Coastguard and Maritime regulator services in the world, to grow the UK maritime sector through its services and the UK Flag, and to show leadership in shipping decarbonisation. It has a dedicated team of some 1,100 professional staff and 3,500 Coastguard volunteers, and an annual budget of around £130m plus £175m for Search and Rescue helicopters. Many of the activities of the MCA support the UK’s wider maritime sector which makes a direct contribution of at least £11bn to the economy while directly supporting more than 113,000 jobs and 6,600 businesses.
The Non-Executive Chair will help the Agency to meet its challenging objectives and to support strongly the delivery of DfT’s ambitious Maritime 2050 strategy. It offers the right candidate the opportunity to play a major role in an ambitious agenda of internal transformation and external impact in support of DfT.
We are looking for someone who has proven recent experience and success in working at board level in a non-executive role within a large, complex organisation who will challenge and support the MCA as they progress with their strategy and turn it into delivery. Experience of the broad maritime sector would be highly desirable. The ability to communicate and influence across a wide range of stakeholders is essential.
|Closing date||Monday 14 December|
|Longlist decision||w/c Monday 21 December|
|Preliminary interviews with GatenbySanderson||w/c Monday 4 January|
|Shortlist Meeting||w/c Monday 11 January|
|Informal meetings||w/c Monday 11 & 18 January|
|Final Interviews||w/c Monday 25 January|
To apply for this post, you will need to submit the following documentation:
- A CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements.
- A statement of suitability (no longer than two pages) explaining how you consider your personal skills, qualities and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the criteria set out in the “About You” section. Please note that the statement of suitability is an important part of your application and is as much the means by which you will be assessed as your CV.
- A completed Diversity Monitoring Form. All monitoring data will be treated in the strictest confidence and will not affect your application in any way. This is an online form which will appear automatically once you submit your application.
Also, if relevant please submit:
- A Disability Confident Interview Scheme form for disabled persons.
Please note all documents are mandatory and if not provided your application will be sifted out of the process.
If you do not receive an acknowledgement of your application within 48 hours please email Julie.email@example.com.
For a confidential conversation about the role please contact advising consultants at GatenbySanderson:
- Eleanor Lawrence, (Eleanor.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07590 355825);
- Julie Myers, (Julie.email@example.com or 07595 779915) or;
- Michael Dobson, (Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07891 142325).
Closing date for applications: 23:59 on Monday 14 December.
If you have any questions about applying for this role please contact: Eleanor.email@example.com.
Please ensure you quote the job title and reference number in your e-mail.