National, predominantly London
03 September 2020
Health Research Authority
At the Health Research Authority (HRA) our vision is for high-quality health and social care research that improves people’s health and wellbeing. Our core purpose is to protect and promote the interests of patients and the public in health and social care research, working with partners to do so. We make sure research is ethically reviewed and approved, promote transparency in research, give expert advice to researchers and provide independent recommendations on the processing of identifiable patient information without consent, for research and non-research projects. We set high standards and help researchers meet them, enable researchers to start their study as soon as possible and are a knowledgeable, well-run organisation that’s true to its values.
We are embarking on our search for a new Chief Executive at a difficult and unprecedented time. Notwithstanding our role in the current public health emergency, when our ability to operate at pace, with efficiency and clarity has never been more important, our evolution as an organisation must continue. The world in which we operate is changing rapidly and we must also ensure that UK research flourishes now that we have left the European Union. As a regulator that touches every part of the health and social care research system, we need to be agile, proportionate and pro-active to meet researcher needs, so that patients can benefit from their work as quickly as possible.
We are seeking an outstanding individual who will provide dynamic leadership to help us achieve our strategy for high-quality health and social care research that improves people’s health and wellbeing. You will inspire colleagues to stimulate innovation and collaboration across the research system and beyond. Working closely with colleagues across the HRA, the Department of Health and Social Care, our systems partners and research community, you will act as an ambassador for the HRA, promoting our values of high-quality research, public and patient involvement and transparency and openness in research.
An inspiring leader, with outstanding communication skills, you will drive a culture of collaboration and engagement and embody the purpose and values of the HRA. Whether you are a serving chief executive, or this is a career step, you will have a demonstrable track record operating and influencing at executive board level in a complex organisation, together with experience of delivering sustainable business performance, transformational change and continuous improvement. Politically astute, you will be a visible and motivating leader, exercising diplomacy and sensitivity when required yet willing to challenge the status quo when needed. Your integrity, standing and judgement will inspire confidence in the HRA and its work, enabling it to hold the respect of a demanding and rapidly changing sector.
|Closing Date||12 Noon, Friday 4 September 2020|
|Longlist Meeting||w/c 14 September 2020|
|Preliminary Interviews||w/c 21 & 28 September 2020|
|Shortlist Meeting||w/c 5 October 2020|
|Final Panel||w/c 2 or 9 November 2020|
Please ensure that you provide the following information:
- Your CV
- A supporting statement (of not more than 3 pages) detailing how you can address the Essential and Desirable criteria in the Person Specification
- Daytime, evening and/or mobile telephone numbers as well as your personal email address (to be used with discretion)
- Contact details for two referees. Referees should be people who can comment authoritatively on you as a person and as an employee and must include your current or most recent employer or his/her authorised representative. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them
- A completed diversity monitoring form
- Confirmation of your availability for meetings on key dates as outlined below