Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield & Blackpool
Up to £105,000
10 April 2022
Department for Work and Pensions
The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is a major Department of State that plays a critical role in UK life. Operating at significant size and scope, we provide services and support to over 22 million people every year, responsible for over 730 million benefits payments, totalling some £173.1 billion. Engaged in delivering a once in a generation programme of welfare reform, we are committed to: Helping citizens into sustained employment, increased earnings, and self-sufficiency; reducing the disadvantages faced by disabled people and people with healthcare conditions; Increasing savings for and providing financial security in later life and maximising the number of children benefitting from an effective child maintenance arrangement.
Underpinning our ability to meet these commitments is our investment in Digital, Data and Technology, harnessing the potential of new and existing platforms to deliver an Agile, user centred, product and services architecture roadmap of unparalleled scale, complexity, and ambition. As part of this ongoing transformation, we are recruiting a Head of Data as a Service to transform service delivery through data in DWP and to use data to improve people’s lives.
Reporting to the Chief Data Officer, as a key member of the Data Directorates Senior Leadership Team, you will have a pivotal role to play in achieving DWP’s strategic ambition to become a truly data-driven department. Key priorities will include: collecting and managing a vast array of data to ensure DWP targets the right support, to the right people at the right time; improving users lives and experiences safely and working across Government departments and the wider ecosystem including Local Authorities, Devolved Assemblies and international partners, to improve the overall user experience when interacting with UK Government. Importantly, your remit will also include ensuring that Data Live Services are accurate and available 24x7x365, to support the delivery of services of critical importance to the welfare of the nation including Universal Credit, NHS Free Prescriptions, Warm Homes Discount Scheme and the UK Electoral Roll.
We are looking for a highly motivated, capable, Head of Data as a Service to make all this happen for DWP, and all of the users we proudly serve. To succeed in this role, your experience will include:
- Leading a large-scale, operationally-focused, data and analytics function in a complex, fast-paced organisation and sector, such as government, retail, or banking and financial services.
- Running mission-critical live services, ensuring best in class data security and controls are in place, maintained and developed.
- Creating innovative, robust data products that can drive change within a large, complex, agile delivery based organisation.
- Transforming data architecture within an organisation and across a complex landscape of legacy and cloud based systems.
- Building excellent stakeholder relationships at all levels and across organisational boundaries in support of deep based collaborative working.
This is a rare, and exciting opportunity to play a leading role in the data transformation of the UK Welfare State.
Closing Date for Applications
Sunday 10 April 2022 (23:55)
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
Thursday 21 April 2022 to Friday 29 April 2022
Assessments, Stakeholder Engagement Exercise (SEE) & Fireside Chats (FSC)
Friday 6 May 2022 to Thursday 19 May 2022
Final Panel Interviews
Friday 27 May 2022
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (Limited to 1,250 words) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
Should you wish to have a confidential conversation with to explore this role before applying please contact us
ContactsAdrian Barlow: 07393 011150Shakir Farooqi: 07411 168 420