London/Leeds with opportunity for flexible working
03 October 2021
Location – London or Leeds with opportunity for flexible working
NHS Digital is the national digital, data and technology delivery partner for the NHS and social care system. We create powerful tools and services that support NHS staff at work, helping people get the best care. We keep the nation’s healthcare data safe and use it to improve understanding of health problems, support world-class medical research, and make the NHS better.
During the pandemic, NHS Digital has played a crucial role, working around the clock to deliver data and insight used by key decision makers to tackle the pandemic and to plan for recovery. With a new CEO and Executive Leadership for Data, we are entering a new, exciting phase in our development as a trusted delivery partner to the NHS and all those who rely on the unparalleled breadth and depth of critical services it provides. As the national safe haven for patient data, central to achieving our ambitions for the future and fulfilling our responsibilities as the National Legal Data Custodian, is our bold Data Services strategy and mission, positioning NHS Digital to become the data provider of choice for health and social care in England and harnessing the power of information, data and technology to improve health and care.
As part of our vision to increase our reach and impact on health and care outcomes, the Data Services Directorate is redesigning the way we operate. We will curate high-quality, timely data for analysis and reporting to support quality care provision, inform national policy and local commissioning, and drive the UK’s world class research, clinical trials and pioneering work in the life science sectors. Alongside this, we will minimise the burden on the wider health and care system in relation to the collection and provision of that data, ultimately enabling clinicians to spend less time on paper and more time with patients.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Data Services, the Director of Data Curation and Open Data plays a pivotal role in achieving our aspirations, leading within the Data Services Directorate and beyond to ensure that data extraction has minimal burden for data providers, that data is centrally mapped, that quality is optimised, and that data is linkable at patient level for longitudinal applications. In summary, all activities relating to data collection, cleansing and dissemination.
Additional key requirements of the role include:
- Supporting the development of a strong network of domain experts and professional bodies, using their insight to deliver complete, consistent and accurate data with minimal burden to providers.
- Leading work on data curation, delivering a hybrid approach that combines expert staff with scalable, automated approaches to deliver high quality, joined-up data at significant scale and pace.
- Providing rapid feedback to data providers, ensuring that they receive actionable information to improve care and further drive-up data quality.
- Making our data publicly, securely available in the right format e.g. statistical publications, indicators, visualisations and other outputs.
- Driving transparency and promoting the broader use of open data by releasing existing data in timely, accessible, shareable, and increasingly innovative digital formats.
- Building positive partnerships to ensure both strategy and delivery is aligned with sponsor organisations, cross sector delivery partners and funding bodies.
- Relentlessly pursuing efficiencies, continuous improvement, and embedding a user-centred approach to all aspects of data collection and dissemination.
Joining a fresh and committed Data Services Executive Management Team, you will be a progressive, accomplished data professional and subject matter expert who can bring:
- Proven leadership ability, with experience of leading large teams of data professionals/statisticians within a health and/or care setting, gained within the NHS, a related part of the health and care system, or as a supplier to it.
- Deep business and technical understanding of the need for high quality data for secondary uses in health and social care.
- Extensive knowledge of national and other processes for capturing, transforming and processing data and of current national processes and systems for collecting and flowing health and care data.
- Comprehensive understanding of statistical data sources, methods, analysis, reporting and business intelligence.
- An established understanding of the Government Statistical System and knowledge of the role and requirements of the UK Statistics Authority, and of the requirements of the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.
- Knowledge and experience of establishing and implementing data quality improvement approaches and industry standards at significant scale, across a complex organisational setting, effectively managing change in the process.
- Ability to establish NHS Digital as the strategic partner for the delivery of data solutions for the health and care system and proven ability to manage and influence senior stakeholders (technical and non-technical) at all levels.
- Significant experience in partnership working with sponsor organisations, delivery partners and funding bodies, in a complex operating environment with proven ability to build positive partnerships to ensure strategy alignment.
Closing Date for Applications
Sunday 3 October 2021 @ 11:59pm
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
TBC - Wednesday 15 October 2021 to Thursday 21 October 2021
Assessments, Stakeholder Engagement Exercise (SEE) & Informal Conversations (IC)
TBC - Wednesday 27 October 2021 to Friday 5 November 20212021 to Friday 5 November 2021
Final Panel Interviews
TBC - Thursday 25 November 2021 &/or Friday 26 November 2021
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (no more than 2 pages of A4) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide mobile and email contact details.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
ContactsAdrian Barlow: 07393 011150Sundas Gull: 07545318869