London/Leeds with opportunity for flexible working
03 October 2021
NHS Digital is the national digital, data and technology delivery partner for the NHS and social care system. We create powerful tools and services that support NHS staff at work, help people get the best care, and use the nation’s health data to drive research and improve services.
The scope of the products and services we provide is vast, from building and running the core IT and data infrastructure, platforms, live services and cyber operations on which the NHS and social care system relies, through to designing and delivering innovative data products and services of critical importance to the health and care system and which support world class pioneering research across the health and life-sciences sectors. Importantly, our technology also serves to keep the nation’s healthcare data safe, helping us to fulfil our responsibilities as the National Legal Custodian for Patient Data.
During the pandemic, NHS Digital has played a crucial role, working around the clock to deliver data and insight used by key decision makers to tackle the pandemic and to plan for recovery. With a new CEO and Executive Leadership for Data Services, we are entering a new, exciting phase in our development as a trusted delivery partner to the NHS and all those who rely on the unparalleled breadth and depth of critical services it provides. Central to achieving our ambitions for the future is our bold Data Services strategy and mission, positioning NHS Digital to become the data provider of choice for health and social care in England and harnessing the power of information, data and technology to improve health and care.
As part of our vision to increase our reach and impact on health and care outcomes, the Data Services Directorate is redesigning the way we operate to deliver an enhanced range of products and services for a growing and diverse spectrum of users based on their needs and with an increased focus on cross sector, partnership working.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Data Services, the Director of Data Analysis and Technology is fundamental to achieving this ambition, transforming our technical capabilities to unlock the potential of data to derive best value from it, drive actionable intelligence and to inspire novel analyses, ultimately leading the way for better health and care outcomes. Additional key requirements of the role include:
- Providing inspiring vision and leadership to a significant scale, multi-skilled Data Analytics and Technology function, building and maturing the capability and capacity of the combined team to deliver exemplary data analytics and data services on an industrial scale.
- Collaborating with subject matter experts throughout NHS Digital and the wider health and care system, to contribute to advancements in our data analytics capability, and support the move from dissemination of data to access in secure, trustworthy environments.
- Leading the Directorate’s new Analytics Insight Service, directing and overseeing the development of robust, user-centred, re-usable data products and services, including integration with new industry standards and terminologies.
- Providing industry leading platforms and tools to underpin delivery of all data services, driving commonality, capacity and convergence across programmes, data sets, tools and processes, thereby reducing technical debt.
- Effectively managing change in ensuring the Data Analysis and Technology teams work together, such that developments in our analytics space are enabled by our technology, and in turn inspire further developments in our technical platforms and capabilities.
- Drive strong and consistent operational performance from the Data Analysis and Technology team, defining and embedding customer service excellence through the establishment of appropriate governance and service frameworks in support of a highly responsive and pro-active service.
- Defining and delivering the plan for the iterative development of our data analytics capability to meet current and emerging analytics needs across NHS Digital and the wider health and care economy.
Joining a fresh and committed Data Services Executive Management Team, you will be a progressive, persuasive, inclusive data and technology expert leader, who can offer:
- Proven ability to set strategic vision based on a user-centred ethos, alongside the operational experience to lead delivery of multiple programmes and diverse large teams in a complex, ambiguous and fast paced, data-rich environment, with experience gained in either the public and/or commercial sector.
- Deep data knowledge and expertise encompassing advanced data analytics, the supporting infrastructure, automation, AI and application technologies, and how they can be used for transformative benefit.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the benefits and value that the effective use of data can bring to the life of our citizens and how technology can enable its delivery.
- Demonstrable experience in Agile Delivery and of successfully driving change and transformational programmes in large/ complex organisations, including championing and embodying cultural change, working in tandem with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to establish NHS Digital as a strategic partner for the delivery of data solutions for the health and care system, with proven ability to manage and influence senior stakeholders (technical and non-technical) at all levels.
- Strong commercial mindset, with significant experience of partnership working with a wide variety of data and technology delivery partners, harnessing collective effort to deliver shared value.
- An understanding of the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental factors that may have implications for NHS Digital’s Data Services and the health and care system.
Closing Date for Applications
Sunday 3 October 2021 @ 11:59pm
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
TBC - Wednesday 15 October 2021 to Thursday 21 October 2021
Assessments, Stakeholder Engagement Exercise (SEE) & Informal Conversations (IC)
TBC - Wednesday 27 October 2021 to Friday 5 November 20212021 to Friday 5 November 2021
Final Panel Interviews
TBC - Thursday 25 November 2021 &/or Friday 26 November 2021
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (no more than 2 pages of A4) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide mobile and email contact details.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
ContactsAdrian Barlow: 07393 011150Sundas Gull: 07545318869