Unremunerated (10-15 hours/month)
01 October 2021
Church of England
The Diocese of Chelmsford is one of the largest and most diverse in the Church of England. It stretches across Essex and five East London Boroughs and includes Europe’s premier region for regeneration. It is a diocese of great contrasts, with many affluent areas, prominent rural life and established and developing industry, as well as significant pockets of high deprivation. This is an exciting time for the Diocese, with the recent appointment of a new Bishop, Dr Guli Francis-Dehqani, who succeeds the Most Revd Stephen Cottrell, appointed as Archbishop of York in 2020.
We are now seeking an exceptional individual to Chair the Chelmsford Diocesan Board of Finance. Providing overall leadership and guidance to Trustees and members of the diocese, this is a critical role responsible for the good stewardship and effective decision making on the assets, resources, governance and people that support our mission and ministry across Essex and East London. You will join at a time of learning in response to the COVID pandemic and discernment in finding the best way forward through complex issues and challenges that face the diocese.
For this role, we are seeking a committed Christian in the Anglican tradition or another in full communion with the Church of England. You will bring significant experience of working at a strategic level within large, complex organisations bolstered by a track record of chairing at board or committee level. Financially and commercially astute, with familiarity with accounting and governance procedures, you will also be an effective relationship builder, able to work collaboratively and win the confidence of a diverse range of partners. With first class interpersonal skills, political acumen, flexibility and resilience, you will be able to inspire, motivate and influence, to see the big picture whilst commanding the detail, and demonstrate a clear commitment to our mission.
*Schedule 9, paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010 applies to this post
The Diocese of Chelmsford is an equal opportunities employer and would welcome the opportunity of increasing the diversity of its leadership team.
Friday 1 October 2021
w/c Monday 11 October 2021
w/c Monday 18 October 2021
How to apply
To apply for this role please submit the following:
- an up to date copy of your CV (of no more than 3 pages)
- Supporting Statement (of no more than 3 pages) which addresses the criteria set out in the Essential and Desirable criteria in the Person Specification
- Daytime, evening and/or mobile telephone numbers as well as your personal email address (to be used with discretion)
- Contact details for two referees. Referees should be people who can comment authoritatively on you as a person and as an employee and must include your current or most recent employer or his/her authorised representative. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them.
- A completed diversity monitoring form, the questionnaire is part of the online application process and will appear on screen.
ContactsMatt Malone: 0113 205 6063 Duncan Ewart: 0113 205 6092