London/Leeds with the opportunity for flexible working
16 September 2021
NHS Digital is the national digital, data and technology delivery partner for the NHS and social care system. We create powerful products and services that support NHS staff at work, help people get the best care, and use the nation’s health data to drive research and innovation. The scope of the products and services we provide is vast, from building and running the core IT and data infrastructure, platforms, live services and cyber operations on which the NHS and social care system relies, through to designing and developing digital products that help NHS and care staff do their work and that put people in control of their health and care.
During the pandemic, NHS Digital has played a crucial role, working around the clock to deliver, amongst others, products and services to support Test and Trace, Vaccinations and provide data and insight used by key decision makers to tackle the pandemic and to plan for recovery. With a new CEO and strategic vision, we are entering an exciting phase in our development as a trusted delivery partner to the NHS and all those who rely on the unparalleled breadth and depth of the critical services it provides.
An extraordinary health and care service deserves exceptional talent to support it’s delivery. Whilst proud of what our amazing people have achieved to date, we are now seeking to appoint to a number of key leadership positions to drive forward our ambitious strategy and plans for the future, in support of the NHS. This is your chance to be part of an organisation that makes a very real and positive contribution to the NHS and social care system, every day and on a national scale. If you are up for a challenge of this scale and complexity, we’d love to hear from you.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Products, as a key member of NHS Digital’s Product Delivery Senior Leadership Team, our Director of Product Delivery will join a team of Directors delivering a wide range of products, services, and transformation programmes. These currently comprise:
- Citizen health technology – delivering a new generation of patient-facing digital products that will revolutionise how we look after our health and wellbeing.
- Primary care technology – delivering new capabilities to support the digital transformation of primary care.
- Urgent and emergency care – ensuring best use of digital technology in urgent and emergency care to get patients the right help, in the right place, at the right time.
- Medication, social care and child health – products, programmes and services that deliver benefits to patients, healthcare professionals and the wider health and care system through improved digital integration.
- Screening technology – providing products to deliver national screening programmes.
- Provider support portfolio – programmes and services transforming providers of secondary care through improved digital maturity.
This portfolio is dynamic and changes rapidly to meet the needs and priorities of the health and care system. Each Director will be accountable for the delivery of significant, high-profile, complex products across the Health and Care system. To do so, the Director of Product Delivery will:
- Build strong, trust-based relationships with the Product Delivery Senior Leadership Team, our wider functional teams and our external partners across the health and care system.
- Provide leadership, vision and direction to a large multi-disciplinary product delivery team.
- Nurture and embed a team culture that is empowering, authentic and which passionately promotes Diversity and Inclusion.
- Demonstrate exemplary User Centred Design in the development of current and future NHS Digital products and services.
- Bring a relentless drive and focus on solving real user problems and delivering successful outcomes rather than outputs.
- Ensure outcomes and deliverables are executed using appropriate scaled AGILE delivery methodologies in line with digital by default standards where relevant and acts as a strong advocate for AGILE & DevOps culture, methodology and approaches across the organisation.
- Align all activities to NHS Digital’s Strategy and Business Plans and ensure progress is executed and reported to NHS Digital’s Chief Executive, Executive Management Team and external partners as necessary e.g. NHS England, NHSX, Department of Health and Social Care, Cabinet Office and appropriate Programme Boards.
We want you to be set for success and so these are some of the key skills and experiences that you will have:
- Strong leadership credentials and a track record of delivering digital products and services with in-house teams and commercial partners, not necessarily gained in a health and care context.
- Experience leading in a technology delivery organisation that deploys agile ways of working at scale and delivers and measures the impact of products and services.
- Experience of leading the strategic relationship between products, programmes, services and/or systems and key stakeholders with the ability to influence at board level.
- A track record of encouraging and facilitating the development of creative and innovative approaches to delivery, based on detailed awareness of technological advances and tools.
Closing Date for Applications (Please note this is a rolling campaign for 3 roles and if all roles are filled in Tranche 1 then we would close the role at that time)
Sunday 12 September @ 11.59pm (Tranche 1) & Sunday 26 September @ 11.50pm (Tranche 2)
Preliminary Interviews with GatenbySanderson
Wednesday 22 September 2021 to Thursday 30 September 2021 (Tranche 1) & Wednesday 6 October 2021 to Thursday 14 October 2021 (Tranche 2)
Assessments, Stakeholder Engagement Exercise (SEE) & Informal Conversations (IC)
w/c Monday 4 October 2021 & w/c Monday 11 October 2021
Final Panel Interviews
w/c Monday 25 October 2021
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit:
- An up to date and relevant CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements
- A Supporting Statement (no more than 2 pages of A4) that addresses the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements.
- Please provide your home, work, mobile and email contact details and let us know of any dates when you are not available or where you may have difficulty with the indicative timetable.
- Please include the names, positions, organisations and contact details for two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. We will not approach your referees without your prior permission.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated email to confirm that you have applied. If you do not receive this email, please make contact with GatenbySanderson.
Should you wish to have a confidential conversation with to explore this role before applying please contact *****************
ContactsAdrian Barlow: 07393 011150Lisa Paul-Wickham: 07570 654 500