Well, hopefully we are past the worst of the weather, but the recent snow across Yorkshire and the North East was a bit of a shock. We are now well into a new year and decade, and here is an article I wrote for the MJ looking at some of the big changes we have gone through in recruitment, as well as what may happen in the future: https://www.gatenbysanderson.com/blog/2020/01/looking-back-and-forward
GS has of course been working with a lot of authorities in the North on key appointments since the turn of the year, inlcuding:
- Robert Murray – Assistant Director of Early Intervention and Safeguarding at Calderdale
- Jon Dyson – Deputy Director of Place at Bolton
- Paul Whittingham – Assistant Director of Economic Development at Bolton
- Julia Hassall – Assistant Director of Children’s Social Care at Rochdale
- Shokat Lal – Executive Director of Core at Barnsley
- Mel John-Ros – Executive Director of Children’s Services at Barnsley
- Andrew Cotton – Director of Housing and Communities at Melton
- Rob Huntington – Assistant Chief Executive at St Helens
- Lisa Harris – Strategic Director of Place Services at St Helens
- Chris Wanley – Director of IT at Manchester.
Good luck to all in their new positions!
We also have a number of roles live at the moment, including the chief executive posts at Ashfield District and Cambridge City, the DCS post at Wigan, the ED for Strategic Commissioning for Bury (a joint appointment with the NHS), several roles at Somerset County Council, and a Head of Economic Regeneration at NW Leicestershire. We are also working on the Chief Executive appointment for the North York Moors National Park Authority. To see a full list of our current roles click here.
The need to find more diverse candidate pools is not just restricted to local government. Here are some thoughts from a civil service perspective: https://www.gatenbysanderson.com/blog/2020/01/even-the-civil-service-needs-expert-help-to-find-new-leaders
Also, I often get asked about how a senior leader in local government can take on a NED or board role in health or the NfP sector. We run a scheme which supports people from under-represented groups become a NED, find out more at the following link: https://theinsightprogramme.com/
Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need to talk to GatenbySanderson about any support for interim or permanent recruitment, as well as team development needs in your authority. You can contact Luke Judd at